Frequently Asked Questions

winnebago elementary school


Q: What time does school start and end?

Students in grades 1-5 and morning Kindergarten may arrive at school at 8:35 am. The school entry bell will ring at 8:40 am. Instruction for students in grades 1-5 begin at 8:50 am. On Mondays, dismissal will be at 2:55 pm. On Tuesdays through Fridays, dismissal will be at 3:40 pm.

Morning Kindergarten classes begin at 8:50 am. On Mondays, dismissal is at 11:15 am. Tuesdays through Fridays, dismissal is at 11:40 am. On Mondays, afternoon Kindergarten classes begin at 12:30 pm and end at 2:55 pm. On Tuesdays through Fridays, afternoon Kindergarten classes begin at 12:55 pm and end at 3:40 pm.

*Zero Hour Band and Orchestra classes begin at 7:20 am at Marquardt Middle School.

Q: What time is my child's recess/lunch times?

Grades 4 and 5 have recess from 11:25am - 11:45am
Grades 4 and 5 have lunch from 11:50am - 12:10pm
Grades 2 and 3 have recess from 11:50am - 12:10pm
Grades 2 and 3 have lunch from 12:15pm - 12:35pm
Grade 1 has recess from 12:20pm - 12:40pm
Grade 1 has lunch from 12:40pm - 1:05pm

Q: What if my child is absent from school?

When a student is going to be absent from school, parents should call the absence in to the school before 8:00 am or as soon as possible to inform the school for the reason of absence.  The school will send out a “Robo Call” text. If no contact occurs between the home and the school, the student should bring a written excuse from home on first day back to school.  Three or more days of consecutive absence will require a doctor’s note.

Q: What do I do if I have to pick my student up early from school?

If it is a parent, you need to come into the office to sign the student out.
f it is someone else, the parent needs to send a written letter with the child stating who is picking them up. The person will need to show ID and sign the student out in the office. We will not allow anyone other then a parent to take a child out of school without written permission. 

Q: Who qualifies for bus service?

Bus service is provided for students who live within the boundaries of the District and live 1-1/2 miles or more from school.  District 15 students who are assigned to schools other than their home school may be eligible for bus transportation.  Student bus schedules are distributed in August prior to the opening of school. 

Q: My child’s bus is late, whom do I call?

Please call First Student, the bus company, at
630-469-1900 with your child’s bus route number.

Q: I need to change the way my student goes home from school (i.e. picked up by a different person, walking home with someone else instead of taking the bus, etc). Whom do I call?

Please call the school office by 2:00pm.

Q: What is the process for sending notes or money to school?

Please send notes or money in a sealed envelope labeled with your child’s name, the amount of money, and what the money is for.

Q: What if I have changes to information such as a phone number, address, or emergency contacts?

Please contact the school office asap.

Q: How will I be notified in case of a school closing?

Due to inclement weather and other hazardous conditions, school may be cancelled. When such conditions occur, the automated phone message system will be activated via a robo-call and email message. It is vitally important that the school office have a current, working phone number to contact parents/guardians.
You can also check our school Facebook page:

Q: What should I do when I enter the school?

All parents and guardians must check-in at the school office first when they enter the building.
If you are volunteering in the school as a Room Parent or going on a field trip with a class, you must hand in your ID to the office for them to make a copy. 

Q: How do I register my child for school?

In order to ensure that only residents of District 15 have children enrolled in the schools, the Board of Education requires all registering students to prove each year that they reside in the District.  Proof of residency is the responsibility of the registering parent.  Residency documents can be obtained by going to the Registration tab at, from your child’s school office, or from the District Office.  

food & Nutrition

Q. Where can I get a Meal Application?

Applications are available online on the Food and Nutrition website at under Meal Applications or you may apply online at You will need your student’s I.D. number to apply online. Please call our Food Service Dept. at 630-469-7615 x1171 if you do not know your child’s ID number. You may also pick up an application at your child's school office or print one off our website.

Q: What is the cost for school breakfast or lunch?

Our District has been issued a grant from the state that provides all District 15 students with free breakfast and free lunch. There are no fees. 

Q: What if my child has food allergies?

If you require a modified menu for your student due to severe food allergies, please complete the Modified Menu Request Form and return it to your school’s office. You may pick up this form from your school health office or print one from the Health Services page of the school website.

Q; Can I send a special treat to school for a holiday/birthday?

Approved Bday treats pg 1 pic.JPG
Approved Bday treats pg 2 pic.JPG

health services

Q: When should I keep my child home?

  • When he/she has had a fever of 100° or more within the last 24 hours.

  • When he/she has thrown up or had diarrhea within the last 24 hours.

  • When he/she has a rash that has not been seen by a doctor.

  • When he/she has pinkeye that has not been treated for 24 hours.

Q: My student has medication needs during the day. What do I need to do?

Medication will be administered at school only when necessary for the critical health and well being of the student. Prior to dispensing any medications, a medication form needs to be completed by the parents and physician. The medication permission form can be printed here or picked up at your child’s school.

Q: When is the dental form due?

Dental forms are due on May 15th .

Q: Where can I get a dental form?

You may pick up a dental form from the dentist or the school health office.

Q: When is the eye exam due?

The eye exam form is due October 15th.

Q: Where can I get the eye exam form?

You may pick up the eye exam form from the eye doctor or the school health office.

Q: Where can I get an eye exam for my child?

You can get an eye exam for your child at any optometrist's office.

Q: My child has a fever, when can they return?

Your child can return when he or she has been fever free without medication for 24 hours.

Q: My child has pinkeye, when can they return?

Your child may return 24 hours after starting antibiotics for pinkeye.

Q: My child had head lice, when can they return?

Your child may return immediately after treatment with the proper shampoo.

Q: How long is a sports physical good for?

A sports physical is good for one calendar year.

Q: Can’t you just give my child some Tylenol?

The school health office cannot give your child Tylenol without a doctor’s note.